Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pub Hub Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford

E.C.Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd - Bantam IV

Original Customer: Walter Smith, Brasted
Present Status: London Canal Museum, Battlebridge Basin, Regents Canal
Start Building Date: November 1949 Finish Building Date: March 1950
Engine: Lister JP2MG bhp 21 and still in the tug. Serial No. C573068. RPM 1200
Dimensions: Length 21ft. Beam 8ft.9ins. Draught 3ft.4ins.
Bantam IV trials at Brentford Dock 1950
Bantam IV trials at Brentford Dock 1950

This Bantam was brought by Chris Gibson in 1985 from Redlands Quarry, Hensham. He and his son restored the tug making slight modifications to the wheelhouse. They used it until 1994 when he very kindly donated it to the London Canal Museum and requested that it stayed in the same livery. (See Janet McNamara's photos of Bantam IV taken at the museum in 2011).

In the year 2000 The Canal Museum Trust overhauled the tug and repainted her. In 2004 they put the tug into dry dock for major work to protect the steel hull. Steel plates were welded into position to cover sections of the hull which had deteriorated with time; this was funded by the Canal Museum Trust. The Bantam is used frequently and she attends rallies held in Little Venice on the Regent Canal.

Read more about the company history and Jones family.

Published October 2006; updated April 2018