BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 19 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 225 to 232 High Street, Old BrentfordThe first two sections describe the position and some of the challenges in determining who lived where. The properties section provides links to each property.
PositionThis section is on the northern side of the High Street, running from the Half Acre (the western boundary of Old Brentford) to the east.
This section includes the Beehive and Feathers Public Houses, a watchmakers business which ran for nearly 100 years. Other long-standing businesses include a hairdressers, an ironmongers and shoeing forge.
The Feathers PH at 232 can be traced in maps spanning nearly 100 years, from the tithe in 1839 to an OS Map in 1935.
Apart from the Beehive at 227, which survives, the whole area is now (2012) Morrisons supermarket and car park (their site occupies former numbers 228 to 246).
There are plenty of photos of this section of the High Street in local histories of Brentford.
ChallengesThe exercise of fitting people into properties from census returns has proved difficult, even following 1876 when the High Street was numbered. Although only eight house numbers were allocated, there appear to be 10 properties in this stretch in 1839 and 1865 and 9 in 1894, by which time the forge had been allocated no.‘230a’
No. 227, which was The Beehive by 1851, may have occupied initially one then later two properties. The Beehive was rebuilt following the changes to the Half Acre / High Street junction, re-opening in 1907 (the external appearance remains unchanged in 2012). Notes in the 1909/10 Valuations indicate numbers 228 and 229 had their fronts rebuilt around 1911.
The forge (230a) was originally accessed through a gap between numbers 230 and 231 and also had an entrance from Back Lane. The tithe map (1839) shows the forge buildings as unoccupied but at some point a two-storey dwelling was built at first floor level over the gap. A former resident confirms this was known as ‘230a High Street’.
At the eastern end, The Feathers pub may have been rebuilt more than once (see ‘Brentford and Chiswick Pubs’), before demolition in the early 1980s.Top
Number 225This building stood on the corner of the Half Acre and was used by a succession of butchers from 1839 until demolition around 1905 (D) to allow for the tram way: 1839 – 1851 Edmund Shackel (he is listed as the owner and occupier in the 1839/1841 Tithe apportionment); 1861 William Sanders; 1871 – 1891 James Mortlock; Frederick Mariner (whose unusual death is remembered by Maurice Lockyer - not to be read by the squeamish), his son (?) Frederick Charles Mariner, later ran a butchers from 229), J Angles & Titmarsh & Co used the premises until 1905. Top
Number 226Henry White, shoemaker (cordwainer) lived here in 1841 and 1851 censuses with wife Sophia, and in 1851 also his widowed ‘mother-in-law’ Elizabeth White- a fisherman’s widow born in Chiswick - she may have been Henry’s step mother.
He was followed by a succession of tobacconists recorded in censuses 1851 – 1901: Mrs Elizabeth Bradshaw (1861-1881); Miss Florence Humberstone (1890 trade directory); Albert Mew (1891); Miss Sarah Matthews, tobacconist & newsagent (1901).
Like number 225 the building was demolished around 1905 to allow for the tram way (D).Top
Beehive PH (227)The Beehive public house was rebuilt here in 1907 and from then occupied a corner site on Half Acre. The Beehive is still operating as a pub.
See ‘Brentford & Chiswick Pubs’ (Y) for details of the Beehive from the 1830s and the brewery of the same name, which was originally on a site near to the current Beehive.
The tithe enumeration from 1839/41 shows Joseph Sexton as the owner of two ‘houses and premises’ which were later to become the Beehive: one was occupied by Ann Sleap, who is recorded in the 1841 census as a confectioner, the other by Miss Pearce. The tithe map (1839) does not indicate a public house on this site.
In the 1851 census William Gomm ‘beer shop keeper’ lived here with his wife and young family; he had 4 lodgers at the time of the census and the total household numbered 11.
It is not clear whether the Gomm family occupied both the dwellings on this site in 1851. (The Beehive was rebuilt in 1907 and appears to have been rebuilt using the same plot width (neighbouring no. 228 was not affected); the 1894 OS map prior to the rebuild shows a building of similar width to numbers 231 and 232. In 1913 the Beehive frontage: 27’ 6”. No. 231: 24’4” and no. 232 36’)
William Gommremained there in 1861 (household of 10 in total) and moved to Catherine Wheel Yard by 1871. Thomas Farrington, a local man, was living at the Beehive with his wife, five children and a pot boy in 1871. This is the first census where it is named ‘Bee-hive Inn’. It seems likely that by this point both properties 227 and 227-1 were used by the Beehive. Thomas Farrington is listed as publican here in 1881 & 1890.
Thomas Farrington is listed as publican here in 1881 & 1890 .
Jesse East had taken over by 1891. He was born in Monks Risborough, Bucks and his wife Jane in Marylebone. They had two children and Fred Cherry, comedian aged 28 was a lodger.
The 1898 trade directory record Francis Henbrey at the Beehive. The 1901 census shows Francis Henbrey, born Brighton and his wife ‘Feliaca’ (born Notting Hill) here with a two year old granddaughter. Nearby in the Half Acre were caravans, occupied by William Beach ‘proprietor of steam circus’ and his family. The Beach family was at ‘The Grounds, Railway Approach, Hammersmith, London’ in 1891.
Half Acre was widened to accommodate the tramlines around 1905 (D), numbers 225 and 226 being demolished in the process, and the Beehive was rebuilt, to a design by Nowell Parr the council architect, on the corner site.
In the 1909/10 Valuation returns after the 1907 rebuild it is described as‘Public House & premises, frontage 27’ 6”.
Occupier: William Shotter
Owners: Fuller, Smith & Turner, Brewers of Chiswick, freehold.
A modern brick-built & tiled public house on 3 floors. Front flank elevations part-tiled. Return frontage to Half Acre. Well & substantially built.
Gross value: £5000’
The 1911 census shows the Beehive had 11 rooms, occupied by the Shotter family, two barmaids and a nursemaid (there were 11 month old twin girls, Rita Mary and Kathleen Maud as well as three older Shotter children). William Charles Shotter gave his birthplace as New Brentford, his wife, Mary Louise, was born in Bath, Somerset.
Trade directories/electoral registers name the following landlords: William Shotter (1913,1914, 1922), Joseph Morris Myers & Robert Myers (1920, 1924, 1928), Joseph Morris Myers (1933), Thomas G Beare (1937, 1940).
The electoral register for 1918 records William Charles Shotter and Mary Louise Shotter at 227 High Street.
The site includes some images of the Beehive, see links below.Top
Number 227-1The tithe (1839) shows ‘two houses and premises’ owned by Joseph Sexton on this site and the 1865 OS map also shows two properties. The 1894 OS map shows one larger property on this site: no. 227.
It is not clear exactly when the Beehive at 227 expanded into ‘227-1’, but 1841 and 1851 censuses provide possible occupants for this property. An alternative interpretation of records is that the occupants below lived at no. 228 and that the tithe reference to two properties includes one on Back Lane.
In 1839 (tithe) a Miss Pearce and Ann Sleap occupied the two properties owned by Joseph Sexton (227 and 227-1). In the 1841 census Ann Sleap is recorded at the third High Street property after Half Acre, Joel Ilsley in the fourth, suggesting he was in 227-1 (no sign of Miss Pearce nearby).
In 1841 Joel Ilsley was a tailor age ‘50’, with Elizabeth and two girls, Ann and Harriott. (Presumably the same) Joel Isley is included in an 1845 directory, trading in Old Brentford. By 1851 Elizabeth Ilsey, widow age 56, is recorded as a milliner in the property next to the Beehive. She had two lodgers: Alexander Millhench and John Pagan, who may have been born in Scotland (not clear) and who were both ‘draper & tea dealer’.
In the 1861 census the occupant of the property recorded next to the Beehive would appear to be in no. 228, so it is possible no. 227-1 was being used as part of the Beehive.Top
Number 228Described as ‘very old’ and ‘dilapidated’ in the 1909/10 Valuation. It was a smaller property than its neighbours, built on two floors instead of three, with two rooms upstairs and a shop and parlour downstairs. It had a small yard (cf no. 229 was on a plot 88’ deep).
The earliest references to 228 following the High Street numbering (directories and census 1878, 1881, 1882) show the Allen family here, but records in 1890 and later place them at no. 229. The Evens or Evans family who lived next to the Allens also shifted from no. 229 to 230 in the same period, 1882 – 1890. Rather than two families moved one door along it seems more likely that some renumbering took place: descriptions in 1913 do not indicate any major rebuilding. The Allen family are described under no. 229, the Evens or Evans under 230.
It is also possible that he occupants recorded above at 227-1 in 1841 and 1851 lived at no. 228, the Beehive occupying both of the properties owned by Joseph Sexton in the tithe.
In 1890 William Doggett, wardrobe dealer (ie second hand clothes seller) was recorded here. The 1891 census shows his occupation as shoemaker, his wife Harriet as wardrobe dealer. They had four children aged 2 to 11 and a general servant Betsey Redburn, 43. The parents were born in Fulham, the children were all Brentford-born. WCD is recorded in electoral registers for 1892 and 1894 as in 1890, in 1895 his dwelling is 42 High Street Hounslow.
In 1898 Alfred Rutter, greengrocer, traded from no. 228.
The 1901 census shows the Rutter family lived at 1901. Alfred (greengrocer, 44) his wife Adelaide and their 5 children aged 11 months to 15, were all born in Brentford.
In the 1911 census Alfred describes his occupation as ‘job master etc’, four children remained at home, son Frederick John, 15, helped with the business, his elder brother Thomas James, 22, was a coachman. The census reveals Alfred and ‘Hannah Adelaide’ had been married 28 years and that five of their nine children survived. Edith Harriett Parrish was visiting, she was 26, unmarried, born Chadwell Heath. The family used 4 rooms (this excluded the shop).
The 1909/10 Valuation (probably February 1913 when no. 229 was inspected) describes no. 228 as a ‘terrace house and shop adjoining the Beehive PH.
A 1914 directory includes Alfred Rutter, greengrocer at 228.
The 1918 electoral register records Frederick William Lindley and Alice Lindley at this address.
By 1926 Henry Kellham, greengrocer, traded from this address, and his business continued here in 1928, 1933, 1937 and 1938 as Henry Killham.
By 1940 a change of business: Mrs Charlotte F Mullins, corn dealer. Charlotte Mullins was still at this address in 1952, when Patrick McGuire also lived here (electoral register).Top
Number 229Described as ‘old’ in the 1909/10 Valuation.
In 1841 Mary Burnham, a perfumer, lived in this area. She was 50 and with her lived Sarah Burnham (25) and Mary Burnham (5): Sarah was not born in Middlesex, the two Marys were. Robert Hall, 30, was a ‘Sh’ – shopman? and completed the household. Mary Burnham is recorded in the 1826 trade directory, perfumer and hairdresser, Old Brentford so may have lived in the same property.
An 1857 PCC will for a Mary Burnham, widow of Old Brentford could be the same person, her death was registered in Uxbridge, not Brentford.
In 1851 William H Allen, hairdresser (a continuity of trade with Mary Burnham) was recorded next but one to the Beehive, starting an occupation by the Allen family which continued for over 80 years. William H Allen was 40, born Gosport, Hants and had a wife and four children aged 6 months to 15 years; only the youngest child ‘Charles G’ was born locally, a 2 year old ‘John D’ was born in Stepney, suggesting a recent move into Brentford. A William Henry Allen was buried in St George’s churchyard in June 1856, he was 45 years old and of Old Brentford.
1861 shows Sarah Allen recorded in the dwelling following the Beehive. She was a widowed hairdresser, age 49 with two sons, John and Charles, age 14 and 11. Sarah had an assistant hairdresser, William Cass, age 23. Sharing the property were Harriet Knevett, a fundholder age 65 and her daughter Eliza who was 17 and described as ‘deaf and dumb’.
The 1871 census shows Sarah Ann Allen, age 62, hairdresser, living next to the Beehive with son John Daniel Allen, 22, hairdresser and apprentice Richard Herbert, 16, apprentice hairdresser.
The 1878 directory (by which time the High Street had been numbered) shows John Allen, general dealer at 228 High Street and in the 1881 census John Daniel Allen was recorded at 228 High Street (occupation left blank) with wife Eliza Jane and four children under 8. An 1882 directory confirms this address, but later records show an address of 229 High Street.
John Daniel Allen remained at 229 High Street in 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses (by which time he was 62).
At the time of the 1911 census he had been married to his wife Eliza for 38 years, during which time they had 11 children, seven of whom were still alive. John was a barber, the two sons still at home, Sidney (21) and Kenneth (17) were a ‘lift repairers assistant’ and ‘picture framers assistant’. John was born in East London, his wife in Baughurst, Hampshire. The property had seven rooms.
The inspection in 1913 as part of the 1909/10 Valuation returns describe it as ‘old’ and notes that the front was rebuilt ‘about two years ago’.
Trade directories and electoral register (ER) show later occupancy:
This was still Marriners, the butchers, into the early 1960s (L).Top
Number 230When the High Street was numbered in 1876 no. 230 (described as ‘old’ in 1913) was allocated a number, but the property nearby (described as ‘very old’ in 1913), accessed through a gap between 230 and 231 was not. 230a may not have been allocated a number in 1876 because it was part of the premises of 230 (over 30 years later both were owned by the same person, Fanny Leonard); alternatively it may not have provided living accommodation at the time but may already have been used by a separate business.
An 1890 trade directory and the 1891 census both list two very different businesses operating from 230 High Street: a clothier/outfitter and shoeing forge/farrier. The former would need a shop, ideally fronting the High Street, the latter would need access for a horse and a workshop but would not need a shop fronting the High Street.
Perhaps to allow separate postal addresses for the two businesses, by 1895 reference is made to ‘230a’ High Street, the shoeing smith trading from here, 230 being the clothiers, and this distinction continued. In the notes that follow, the occupants of the clothiers are recorded here and the heavier iron-related trades under 230a. However it is possible that the iron-related tradespeople used both 230 and 230a until the 1890s.
Benjamin Evens or Evans is listed at 230 from 1839 as a tea dealer, cheesemonger & grocer until 1874, when he was about 80 years old; Robert Evans followed in 1881.
In the1891 census John C Wrightson, a farrier and his wife are recorded in a 3 room property “230”. Joseph Wheeler, clothier and outfitter, his wife, four children and a visitor occupied “230”. As Wrightson was recorded at 230a in 1901 it seems likely he occupied the smaller property in 1891 too, and Wheeler was at 230. The 1895 electoral register records Joseph Wheeler at 230 High Street.
In the 1909/10 Valuation Records 230 is described as a brick-built terrace shop & house ‘old and somewhat dilapidated’ with a (wider than average) frontage of 23’ to the High Street. It had three floors:
There was a brick and timber built stable in rear with loft over in a very dilapidated condition and there was a cellar under the back portion of the ground floor. There was an entrance from Back Lane, and the plot 126’ 9” was long, varying in width. No. 230 was owned by Fanny Leonard who also owned 230a.
By 1911 Charles A Hermon lived at no. 230 with his wife Sarah A.: they were aged 46 and 47 and had been married just six years, they had no children. Charles was a railway goods porter, his wife ran a newsagents from their home. Living with them in this eight-roomed property were a niece and nephew, Ellen A and John H Akerman (born Windsor).
Lodging at no. 230 in 1911 was Maud Muriel Goodman, a 34 year old teacher of music, with her daughter Dorothy Muriel, 9. The mother ran a ‘singing and pianoforte school’ from her home. She had been married 10 years and although she described herself as ‘married’ rather than ‘widow’ her husband was not recorded at this address. The property was described as having seven rooms (as well as the eight rooms already recorded? I wonder).
Trade directories and electoral registers (ER) show later occupancy:
Number 230aAn ironmongers in records dating 1839 – 1881, run by William Tucker until 1851 and William Isaac Miles to 1881. Mason’s 1853 directory includes this entry: ‘William Tucker, ironmonger, Seven mile-stone, High Street’, this presumably to help locate the premises in the times before the High Street was numbered.
Access to Archives includes details of a lease held by LMA: 'Lease for 21 years from 25 March 1882: 1. William Ruston of Brentford, Middx., gent.; 2. James Frederick Hall of Twickenham, Middx., veterinary surgeon. Messuage with outbuildings, yards and gardens near the Seventh Mile Stone in the High Street, Old Brentford, bounded on north by Back Lane, on south by High Street, on east by premises of Thomas Honeybone, on west by premises in occupation of Benjamin Evens.'(I)
In 1891 John C Wrightson, farrier / blacksmith lived and worked here. Electoral registers record John Charles Wrightson at 230 High Street in 1892, then in 1895 1896 at 230a High Street.
The 1901 census shows John C Wrightson, 45, widower, farrier born ‘Middlesboro, Yorks’ and his uncle John (?G) Wrightson, 79, widower, carpenter born ‘Stokesley, Yorks’. Both worked from home and they occupied 4 rooms.
A 1907 trade directory records Frank Taylor, shoeing smith, at the Milestone Forge, 230a High Street, also Sydney H Slocock, FRCVS, veterinary surgeon worked at this address.
In the 1909/10 Valuation Records the property was owned by Fanny Leonard and described as a ‘veterinary infirmary, forge and house’. It had an entrance on Back Lane, a plot extending 132’, was ‘old and dilapidated’. It had a stable with 3 stalls, harness room and coachhouse.
In 1911 no. 230a was occupied by Harry Mitton (37), a veterinary surgeon (manager), born Ilkley, Yorkshire and his Amelia Anne, son Sidney and daughter Dorothy; the children were born in Lancashire. The property had 5 rooms and in the census enumerator’s list was described as a ‘farriers shop’.
230a is listed in directories from 1913 as a farriers.
The 1918 electoral register lists the voters at 230a: William Bertie Whitten (absent Naval or Military voter), Susan Whitten, Sydney Howard Slocock (abode 4 Montague Road, Hounslow: 230a being his Business Premises (BP).
By 1928 230a was a garage (Charles A Knights), then Ideal Haulage Services & Motor Works Ltd, haulage contractors (1933 & 1940).
The 1939 Register records Thomas W Brett and his wife Hilda I at 230a. Thomas was born in 1909 and working as a heavy lorry driver (entry annotated ‘heavy worker’; his wife, born 1906, was a haulage contractor’s clerk.
Dawn Welch (nee Hurdwell) writes in August 2010: “I lived at 230a high street Brentford from the age of six months till I was ten years old. The house at that time was owned by the Ideal haulage company. I loved living there as a child, I went to St Lawrence church for Sunday school and St Paul's school.” In the 1952 electoral register: Harold, John and Maggie Hurdwell; and Leslie and Ivy Robinson.Top
Number 231Thomas Honeybone, watch & clock maker & jeweler lived here from 1839 – 1871, when he was 68; in 1874 the business was ‘Honeybone & Pearce’; and by 1881 Thomas Pearce was running the business; he remained here until 1891; by 1901 Arthur H Bridger, jeweller, was living here.
The London Evening Standard of 16 September 1903 carried an advertisement to sell various Brentford properties, placed by Mr Christopher Ernest Saunders (of Saunders and Taylor) under direction of Mr Justice Kekewich of the High Court of Justice. This followed the case of Pearce v. Pearce, Brentford. The properties included ‘The Freehold Shop, with splendid frontage of 24 ft 4in, standing in very finest business position, and known as The Clock House, 231, High Street, Brentford: let to an excellent tenant at £80, on lease. Also Two capital Freehold Cottages in the rear of the shop, producing £22 2s per annum.
The premises continued to be tenanted by the Pearce family; 1909/10 Valuation names the occupiers as ‘Pearce & Co (watchmakers)’, the owner as George C Hill. At this time the property was described as ‘terrace shop & dwelling house, very old and more or less delapidated’.
Thomas Alfred Dermott, his wife Agnes Eliza and their four children lived at 231 in 1911. Thomas gave his occupation as ‘jeweller (dealer)’. He was a 'worker’ so presumably lived and worked at 231 but did not own the business. The property had eight rooms and the birthplaces of the children show the family moved from London to Essex to Surrey before settling in Brentford.
A 1913 trade directory records ‘Pearce & Co Ltd, watchmakers’ at no. 231. The 1918 electoral register records Frederick Sounch and Elizabeth Sophia Souch at 231 High Street. A trade directory for 1928 records Frederick Souch, watchmaker. By 1933, after nearly 100 years of use for watchmaking, the premises were used by a clothier E A Clarke, and then Paine Bros, clothiers in 1940.
The Marylebone Mercury of 3 June 1939 reported the death of Mrs Emily O’Dwyer of 231 High Street Brentford. She was buried at Ealing and Old Brentford Cemetery and was 79 years old. It includes a photo of her and adds she ‘was at one time time proprietress of “The Tuck-shop” almost opposite Roothschild School.’
The 1939 Register records two households at this address: a family of three and a retired tailoress. They may have lived over the shop or in the cottages at the back (see details from sale in 1903 above). The family was headed by Alfred G Smith, born 1900, plumber, with Alfred R Smith, born 1924 and presumably his son, a plumber’s mate, then finally Ivy S Smith, wife/mother, born 1903. The retired tailoress, Caroline Nelms, was born in 1864, was unmarried and recorded with a different schedule no. indicating a different household.
Paul Godfrey writes in September 2009 'After WW2 a company called Kennington & Bourlet Limited was set up by Arnold Reginald Kennington and financially backed by a Mr Bourlet. Their first product was the Kennington Syncromat a projection contact printer, to be followed by the Kenprinter a projection enlarging print or enprinter. Reg Kennington filed a patent on 2nd November 1954 for the Kenprinter ... giving an address of 231 High Street Brentford'.
Dave Baker, who worked at this address from 1958 as a Prototype Instrument Maker for Kennington & Bourlet remembers 231 as being a shop with a workshop at the rear. More of Dave Baker's memories of K&B. Searches of phone directories indicate that K&B moved to Thanet House by 1961.
Peter Scott MBE wrote in August 2017 with some information about successors to Kennington & Bourlet: in the mid-1960s a company named De Za Lux Developments manufactured model aeroplane engines here. (modelenginenews.org website has more information about the company). Peter included a link to a review in Aero Modeller of De Za Lux’s Z.A. 92 1cc diesel engine; it weighed 2 ounces and cost £2 9s 2d including Purchase Tax. He added there was no trace of the company when he visited Brentford in the late 1960s/early 1970s.Top
The Feathers PH (232)The Feathers: John Miller was the publican in 1839 & 1841; in 1841 he had 8 lodgers/borders including Benetto Desotto, clockmaker; Thomas Piper had taken over by 1851 and his (wife?) Elizabeth is listed in 1861; George Kates ran the inn from 1871 – 1891, then Charles Pennefeather in 1901, 1913, Mrs Marion E Jarrett 1928 & 1933; George Shepherd in 1940.
1909/10 Valuation Returns describe it as ‘Public House, stables, premises. Frontage 36’.
Owner: Fuller, Smith & Turner, freehold.
In 1911 Charles Henry Pennefather, 62, licensed victualler, ran the Feathers with his wife Maria. They had been married 39 years and three of their six children were still alive. Two barmaids and a general domestic servant completed the household. Their servant, Julia Harriett Jarvis, 25, gave her birthplace as ’34 High Street Brentford’. The property had 12 rooms.
Trade directories and electoral registers (ER) show later occupancy:
An excavation in the garden of number 232 in 1974/5 uncovered the Roman road surface (Q13).Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link in the navigation area to the left.
References such as '1899 (A11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (A11). Details of 'A' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
Warning - download over 200k! 1839 Tithe map modern numbers 225 to 232 are tithe property refs 433 to 423
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbersTop
Roads OffHalf Acre between numbers 224 & 225
St Pauls Road between numbers 232 & 233. This is not marked as a road on the 1865 Ordnance Survey map and presumably was constructed around the time St Pauls Church opened in 1868. It appears that two properties were demolished to make way for the new road.
First published 2005; last updated August 2017