BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Monument c1910 - 1915Howard Webb sent in this Young & Co postcard image showing Brentford Monument, presumably not long after it was erected in 1909.
It commemorates four major events in Brentford's history:
The monument was constructed from two cylindrical blocks of granite from Brentford Bridge used to support lights until the widening of the bridge in 1900.
The photo shows the monument at its original site on the wharf at the end of Ferry Lane. Gillian Clegg recounts in 'Brentford Past' how the monument became buried in coal unloaded at this site. It was rediscovered in 1955 and Varley Pumps & Engineering of Ferry Lane rescued and repaired the monument. It was moved to the west side of Ferry Lane in the same year. This became a rather dank area with grafitti on nearby brickwork and the monument was moved again to its current site outside the County Court in 1992 (corner of Alexandra Road and High Street).
The photo features 2 men sitting to the left and 5 younger boys to the right, the colouring is closer to that of the original:
The top of the side which is visible commemorates Edmund Ironside, 1016 AD, the bottom side is inscribed in capitals:
Biographies for many of the above are available.
Published June 2012; updated December 2015