BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists & Document Samples
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 1 -> Next Section
Number 1 to the Salutation or St George's Almshouses, Old BrentfordThis is at the far eastern end of the High Street on the southern side, to the east is Kew Bridge Road. This area was originally in Ealing parish, later St George's, Old Brentford. Numbers 3 to 6 backed on to the Thames.
In the 1841 census what we now know as Kew Bridge Road was listed as part of the High Street, but in preparing these notes I’ve ignored Kew Bridge Road and concentrated on what became number 1 High Street onwards.
This section of the High Street was listed as ‘Front Street’ in the 1851 census, presumably in contrast to ‘Back Lane’.
PropertiesNotes prepared for numbers 1, 2, 3 (The Royal Tar), 4, 5 and 6 (Salutation Almshouses); also a list of photos, ephemera and maps
Number 1There are deeds at the LMA originating from London County Council relating to this property and others in London dated 1895 – 1938. Henry Wiseman, ‘manager to dairy’ lived here at the time of the 1891 census.
The Valuation Records (1909/10) describe the property as a house and corner shop on the East corner of The Hollows, with a washhouse in the yard for milk cans etc with a clearing yard at the side, the front wall of which was used as an ‘advertising station’ . There were cart gates to the yard and the premises were in ‘fair repair’. The owner’s name was altered from Messrs Pickfords Ltd to Mr Handsley, who lived in Chiswick. The occupiers were The National Dairy Co Ltd.
In 1911 Fred Brown and his wife Mary Ann lived here with their four children, the parents and eldest son being born in Lincolnshire, the remaining three children in Brentford. Fred Brown was a dairyman, a worker and one of his sons, Alfred Stokes Brown, age 18, was a ‘milk carrier assist in business’. The property had 5 rooms. Living at the same address was Mrs Annie Kemish, a widow aged 62, who occupied one room.
The Oak Farm Dairy Co is listed here in the 1913 trade directory, then David Haywood in 1920, 1928, 1933 & 1940.Top
“Cutting natural gravels and, on the N side of the site, brickearth, were three small post-medieval pits, an 18th-c ditch aligned at right-angles to the High Street, and several brick structures. Of particular interest were the remains of a large building on the E side of the site, identified on 19th-c maps (dating back to 1839) as a malthouse. Walls abutting the malthouse were dated to the 19th c, as was a brick-lined soakaway.”Top
Number 2This property lay on the western corner of The Hollows and is not recorded in trade directories or censuses after 1891. In 1881 the property was occupied by two households headed by Charles Pearce, waterman (wife Priscilla and hour children aged 1 to 11, all Brentford-born) and Jonathan Hawkes, gas labourer, 23 and his wife Susan and son John James aged 2.
In 1890 and 1891 Alfred Ives, a shoemaker, lived here. The census shows he was 61, had a wife Elizabeth, stepson James(?Waren), labourer and widowed lodger Harriet Beesley, laundress.
In the 1909/10 Valuation I have not found a reference to no. 2 High Street yet. The Rpyal Tar (no. 3) is described as having a 32’ frontage to the Hollows, suggesting that no. 2 had been demolished or incorporated into the Royal Tar Beerhouse by this date.Top
Royal Tar Beerhouse - number 3The Royal Tar beerhouse is listed in trade directories and censuses from 1841; it was run by Richard Pearce in 1841 (when he was also working as a waterman) through to 1861. In the tithe return (1839/1841) Richard Pearce is listed as the occupier, the owner was Joseph Napper, who also owned two adjacent houses & yards (see no. 4).
By 1871 Isaac Beese ‘beerseller & boiler maker’, Bristol-born, ran the beerhouse. In the same household were his wife and daughter, both named Priscilla, and Richard Pearce, his wife’s father, who ran the Royal Tar previously. Two nieces surname Marriner also lived here.
William Brooks, lighterman, had taken over by 1881: Trevor Mitchell advises William was the husband of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Pearce and that another daughter, Jane Pearce, was working there as a waitress.
By 1891 John T Wilson, gas stoker lived here, in 1898 John Francis Wilson, beer retailer, and in 1901 William Atkinson from Knutsford in Cheshire. In 1907: Arthur Ernest Dodgson, in 1911: E. Britton.
The Valuation Records (1909/10) describe the property as brick built and slated, with 3 bedrooms, a club room and WC on the first floor; 2 main bars, a jug bar and kitchen on the ground floor. The small yard had a WC and urinal. The owner was Ashby’s Staines Brewery and the frontage to the High Street was 34’ 0”, to The Hollows 32’ 0”.
In the 1911 census Henry Arthur Webb managed the Royal Tar. He had a one year old adopted daughter. The property had six rooms and four boarders: a mother, Constance Harvey, her married daughter Daisy O’Brien and sons John Nue, 18, (pointsman, electric tramway) and Thomas Nue, 15, errand boy for a corn chandler.
There were a number of changes of occupier: to Richard Evans by 1913, Henry George Spilling by 1921, Albert Charles Barber by 1928, George Charles Payne by 1933, Arthur Burrows (1937 & 1938) then Tom Hills by 1940.
By the 1990s the pub was O’Riordan’s and continues in 2011 under this name (but during 2005 to 2008 it was known as Captain Morgan’s).Top
Number 4Joseph Napper, a lighterman, was listed next door to the Royal Tar at number 4 in 1841; he died and left a PCC will (1847) and in 1851 number 4 was occupied by Mrs Elizabeth Mary Napper, by then aged 70, a ‘proprietor of houses’ and her female servant.
In 1861 George Winter, lighterman, lived at no. 4. Brentford & Chiswick Local History Journal 2007 notes ‘The Winters ran the largest of the lighter fleets in 1841, and Thomas Winter … was one of only four barge owners to receive compensation’ (following the 1841 flood). George Winter may be related to Thomas Winter.
In 1871 William Becknell, barge builder, and William Bearman, blacksmith, shared the property; John William Smith, another barge builder, lived here in 1881, then John Wilson, carman, in 1891.
In 1901 a building was recorded between number 3 and the almshouses at no. 6.
In 1911 John Wilson, 52, was recorded in the census at 4 High Street in the enumerator’s list, but he gave his address as 4 Victoria Wharf suggesting the two addresses were interchangeable. He was a yardsman, lime and cement merchants and the property has three rooms.
1913 – 1933 trade directories show Wiggins & Co, lime merchants at numbers 4 & 5, The 1909/10 Valuation records Wiggins & Co as occupiers, Fanny E Mann as the owner. The premises consisted of a house, stables, wharf & premises with a frontage of 18’ 6” to the High Street, more at rear. The house was old, brick built and slated with one floor and basement. The ground floor had 1 room divided into two, a cart entrance at the side and a store room over. The basement included a stable with 4 stalls; there was a large brick built stores on two floors fronting the river. The annual rent was £60.Top
Number 5As no. 5 was two doors along from the Royal Tar at no. 3 and next to the Almshouses at no. 6, the occupants of no. 5 can be arrived at (assuming the enumerator kept on the straight and narrow). In 1861 Thomas Kent, auctioneer, 51 or 57 lived here with his wife, Sarah, daughter, sister and nephew, all born Northamptonshire.
By 1871 Thomas had died. His widow Sarah remained at no. 5 running a sweetshop. With her lived her widowed daughter, Catherine Burley or Bailey who assisted in the shop, granddaughter Susan Burley or Bailey, 8, nephew William Hathersley and a lodger Charles Matthew.
No reference has been found to no. 5 in the 1881 or 1891 census.
In a 1898 trade directory Wiggins & Co, lime, slate, tile, cement & drainpipe merchants, are listed at Victoria wharf, High Street and Lionel Road, Kew Bridge.
Later directories give an address of 4&5 High Street: see no. 4 for details.Top
Saluation Almshouses, number 64 double almshouses, called the Salutation or St Georges Almshouses were built in 1794 opposite the Salutation Inn. The lady occupants are listed from the 1841 census through to 1911, variously as almswomen or parochial pensioners. The 1945/6 photo shows the building as two blocks with a central arch between them.
In 1871 the Almshouses were recorded as four houses, each occupied by two households; the enumerator was working from west to east:
The 1881 census listed 1 Alsmhouse, room 1, room 2; 2 Almshouse room 3, room 4 etc:
In 1891 the occupants of the almshouses were listed as two groups of four, I think the first four lived in the western block, the next four in the eastern block:
In 1901 the Almshouses were recorded in the following sequence: number 8, 7, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6 and 5. The occupants, who were all 'parochial pensioner', bar one lady who was still working, lived in numbers 1 to 8 as follows:
The Valuation Records (1909/10) describe the almshouses as ‘consisting of 2 small blocks of rooms, each block containing on the top floor 2 rooms and on the ground floor 2 rooms, the ground floor rooms have a coal cupboard each’. In the West block the numbers upstairs were 1 & 3, downstairs 2 & 4. In the East block 5 & 7 upstairs, 6 & 8 downstairs. At the rear was a small garden, a common washing house and 2 WCs. The premises were repaired in 1871. The trustees, who paid the insurance and were liable for repairs were:
In 1911 the occupants of the 'St George's Almshouses' were:
According to Gillian Clegg in ‘Brentford Past’ when the almshouses closed the inhabitants were re-housed and money from the sale of the site used to establish a pension fund for them.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link to the left.
References such as '1899 (A11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (A11). Details of 'A' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.3 The Royal Tar (1937); O'Riordan's 1990s (Y98)
Salutation or St George's Almshouses (D26); 1945 photo and notes (Q86); 1945/6 H Felton photo
Warning - download over 200k! 1839/41 Tithe Map modern numbers 1 - 6 have tithe property refs 123 - 113
Warning - download over 100k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffThe Hollows between numbers 1 & 2
Published 2005; last updated December 2011